I’m A Victim Of The Workplace Bully Called “Heavier Workload with Low Compensation”

Posted on Jan 11 2013 - 2:36pm by Halo-Orangees Staff
Categorized as
1307
Tagged as

Workplace Compensation

A heavier workload with low compensation is a major driver of low employee morale and dysfunctional employer-employee relations. When an employee is in a low-salary job role with inadequate benefits, there is no reason to stay, especially, when a better door of opportunity opens.

Poor employee job comparability is a major mishap in organizations internationally. It is a major driver of unsuccessful organizational outcomes. Law enforcement i.e. police officers risk their lives to serve and protect the safety of others, despite inadequate compensation to job role comparability (equivalent). It faithfully takes a person of profound courage to service and protect the well-being of others despite the evident danger.

Officers stand in front of potential dangerous conditions on a daily basis, exclusive to those officers who serve in high crime areas. There is such an extreme yearly growth in crimes being committed.  It almost makes you wonder if criminals take the time to develop plans of actions for committing crimes. Criminals implement the lowest measures of immoral acts that invade the lives of hardworking citizens.

An officer never knows the type of circumstances they are stepping into. For instance, fallen Memphis police officer Martoiya Lang had no way of knowing her life would be taken on December 14, 2012. Officer Lang left behind four beautiful daughters and a husband.  Employees who work in office and other career environments do not run the risk of working in dangerous conditions every single day, hour, minute, and second. Police officers do not have a written clause in their job description that gives them the alternative to opt out of what they may believe to be potentially dangerous or deadly situations.  Although no amount of compensation is comparable to a life, the work responsibilities should be comparable to compensation. Employee morale is a massive component to any organization. There are a number of factors that contributes to low employee morale, for example, lack of advancement opportunities, low wages, poor leadership, and lack of employee value. It is hard to be motivated to give your all in a job role in which you feel undervalued and underpaid. How can a police officer earn less than another city employee who does not compromise something as precious as their own life? More specifically, those employees who hold management/leadership positions who do not even possess the essential skills, knowledge, neither the basic fundamentals to perform job role tasks?

1. Do you believe a job role for example “police officer” that is surrounded with endless danger and possible deadly conditions should warrant top salaries?

2. Do you feel in the event of a police officer being killed while on duty, the first city employee to take post on one of the designated street locations for soliciting of donations should be the Mayor of the respective city?

3. Do you feel there should be a “special city fund” set up by each respective city for families of fallen police officer who lives are taken while on duty?

4. Do you feel it is possible to fully dedicate yourself to a job despite inadequate compensation to job role comparability with an emphasis on potential daily conditions of dangers?

5. What are some of the day to day conflicts surrounding your workplace?

Compensation should always be equivalent to the work load, skill set, job demand, and reflective of the inherent ability of an employee to successfully perform the job with minimal supervision. In most work environments, front line employees tend to perform most of the day to day operational tasks with the management team assigning/delegating the tasks. With the new found fearless mindsets of criminals on the street globally, willing to take aim at police officers, a structure review of job demands, requirements, and safety assessments must be realized. Side by side examination, comparative analysis of compensation and job role equivalence should promptly follow.  Join the conversation!

About the Author

27 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. WinningApprentice March 23, 2013 at 11:26 am -

Big Luke you are a “Big Loser”!
    The advice you give will surely land one in the position that you are in: NO JOB, NO FUTURE, POOR MORALES. There is a way to handle every type of problem on the job that is why jobs have a department called “HR”. I don’t think you’ve ever heard of that. As for you Raleighdiva you should start keeping a notepad in detail of what is going on negatively on your job. No one black, white, middle class, or lower middle class deserves to go through what you have gone through girlfriend. I recommend you buy Author B. Brown’s book. For it would be a good start for you to get your life on track. I’ll be praying for you.

2. Raleighdiva March 23, 2013 at 11:19 am -

I’ve dealt with workplace bullying for a majority of my working years. It seems that every job I’ve had the bullying somehow someway finds its way to me. No matter how nice, friend, I am to people especially women they find a way to want to sabotage me. It has taken a huge toll on me mentally, spiritually, and physically. I wish that I could find a good paying job at home but that isn’t an opportunity that I’ve been fortunate enough to have. I’ve had plenty of time to stop and do a self evaluation on myself however I can’t seem to figure out why workplace bullying haunts me right and left on each job I am hired to do. I’ve also determined by experience that if you aren’t buddy-buddy with the boss then you will have it hard. Sometimes I even have extreme crying spells before I go to work. My train of thought is gone, my beauty is gone, and my love for work is gone. How am I to recover after this?

3. RobertHR. March 23, 2013 at 11:09 am -

Luke your way of thinking is messed up and it is understandable why you don’t have a job. It appears that you fight on them and lose them. Man…..nobody is ever going to make me lose my job by losing my cool. I love money too much.

4. RobertHR. March 23, 2013 at 11:01 am -

I knew Officer Lang and I can’t believe she isn’t with us anymore.
    She was a great God-fearing mother, friend, neighbor and co-worker. She is stilled truly missed.

5. SisterKelly March 23, 2013 at 10:58 am -

Supervisor NO PEOPLE WHO WORK ARE conflict starters. People are supervisors, ceos, bosses, managers, assistant managers and people at the bottom working. Therefore “PEOPLE” start problems in the workplace. If the focus was more on Jesus and doing your assign duty in the workplace then people would not have the time to make their minds the devil’s playground. Also I will say this if people placed and laid their cares in Jesus’ hands then they won’t make their home problems affect their work problems. It is not a vain thought when you hear people say that the devil is busy

6. Need career change March 17, 2013 at 9:34 am -

Presented to all leaders.

• Supervisor March 17, 2013 at 9:40 am -

Don’t forget about employees. Employees are conflict starters.

7. Nina March 17, 2013 at 9:28 am -

I love this site looking forward to more relative reads.

8. SFGuest March 16, 2013 at 6:00 pm -

Being an officer is rewarding but is indeed stressful. Take it from one.

9. Diva4sure March 16, 2013 at 3:42 pm -

Sister Kelly don’t judge me for what I do. That’s how I made it at my job. Now if what u do is different then do u but don’t come for me. i don’t think u want to do that!

10. Yolee March 16, 2013 at 3:40 pm -

My sister in law is a cop in Memphis & I fear for her life everyday. Her pay can’t compare to how she puts her life on the line hour by hour, minute by minute. She has 2 kids a son in high-schol and a daughter in pre-school & each day I pray that she covered while on the job. She loves her job but it’s a shame what officers get paid. I’m not sure what they get paid in other cities but I’m going to speak for Memphis urban area. What my sister in law gets paid is pitiful. She is no newby having 15 yrs under her belt. I salute MPD because how bad crime is in Memphis you’d have to pay me at least 100k a yr. to put my life on the line night after night with no guarantee that I’ll be coming home at the end of my shift.

11. TonyH March 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm -

Speaking of police “Behind Bars” is on w/ a location in Memphis, TN. I feel for police officers

12. MillyJ March 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm -

Diva4sure you are a sad case for a woman which I assume you are. That’s the main reason today woman are taken for a joke on alot of jobs.

13. Lee March 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm -

I hope the mayor reads this. Hell he makes sure he takes care of his bank account and his do boys.

• Shelly March 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm -

Yes he does. Don’t leave out his shade throwing at our director department was a sloppy mess of hell before director was appointed.

14. Scubbs March 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm -

As police officers we are certainly the lowest paid must unappreciated city workers on the planet.

15. Police Officer March 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm -

We do not make enough and are so not appreciated. Please write a article on the poor promotion methods please.

16. Poilce Worker March 16, 2013 at 1:47 pm -

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. JG-allstars March 16, 2013 at 11:28 am -

Diva you want to work for me?

18. Diva4sure March 16, 2013 at 11:24 am -

College has nothing to do with it. It’s some people who have gone to college I’m sure and have had to do what they had to do. SisterKelly what ever rock you crawled out from under return there. Life for some of us ain’t exactly Walt Disney.

19. SisterKelly March 16, 2013 at 11:22 am -

Diva not sure>>>did you go to college?? #smh

20. Diva4sure March 16, 2013 at 11:21 am -

Naeasha boo you need to step your game up and stop complaining. Either you will put up or shut up. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get where you need to go. I bet if you sleep with him he wouldn’t care if you worked 5 jobs.

21. RhondaHolmes March 10, 2013 at 5:41 pm -

I think that most companies should have seminars for employees regarding good work ethics. Having orientations isn’t enough to address the problems that surface on the job.

22. RhondaHolmes March 10, 2013 at 5:41 pm -

23. Naeasha K. March 9, 2013 at 8:58 pm -

That’s why I’m trying to find me another job. I get so dam sick & tired of working for folk that judge me cuz I have a 2nd job working at Fedex. My boss called me in his office and told me some crap about I’m not doing my job as good as I used to. He said it’s cuz I work a 2nd job. WELL DAM!!!!! I told him first of all what I do away from this job isn’t his business and second the only reason I have to work a 2nd job is because he refuse to up my pay. If I was making what I deserve or am entitled to then a 2nd job I wouldn’t have to have. I asked him “do you think I like working a 2nd job and that I ain’t doing it for the hell of it. Hell he making good dough. Some of us have to work 2/3 jobs at a time to make ends meet.

24. Nicole January 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm -

Lack of pay is a universal debate on jobs international. Lack of communication and poor leadership is a core part of why the bridge between job role and pay are inequitably defined. A lot of leaders fail because they lack the ability to effective communicate. They are self-driven and conceived only worried about their own personal gain.

25. Need a Job! January 12, 2013 at 6:39 pm -

I am working in a low compensation position. The workload is massive and stressful. My boss doesn’t care about me being overworked and stress out. He only cares about his self and one other employee, because of the nature of their relationship. I’m currently looking for another job.